.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Generic Confusion

When you leave, my blog just fades to grey
Nu ma nu ma iei, nu ma nu ma nu ma iei


News? Check. Politics? Check. Music? Check. Random thoughts about life? Check. Readership? Ummm.... let me get back to you on that. Updated when I feel like I have something to say, and remember to post it.

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

The hungry obese

Megan McArdle at Asymmetrical Information highlights the inanity of the statistics used to highlight hunger in America. An article from Reuters (of course) begins:

In a nation where obesity is the second-leading cause of death, 33 million Americans don't know where their next meal is coming from....

She points out that this is more than 10% of the U.S. population, of which 12.5% is below the poverty line. And the poor are more likely to be obese.

The comments discuss how one can eat if one is on a tight budget. I don't do a whole lot of cooking from scratch, so when I buy some staples, I'm often shocked how little one has to pay. A five pound bag of flour? Cooking oil? Beans?

Don't forget every student's best friend: ramen noodles. I've seen them for as little as 10 cents each. Granted, you can't live off ramen, but they are filling, and can be expanded with a little meat or vegetables to create a meal. Example:

Ginger Beef and Noodle Soup

1 pound lean ground beef
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp pepper
2 cups water
1 can (13¼-14½ oz) vegetable broth
1 package (3 oz) beef-flavored instant ramen noodles, broken
3 cups frozen broccoli stir-fry vegetable mixture

In large saucepan, brown ground beef over medium heat 6 minutes or until outside surface is no longer pink, breaking up into ¾ inch crumbles. Pour off drippings.

Add salt, ginger, and pepper. Stir in water, broth, and seasoning packet from ramen noodles; bring to a boil. Stir in noodles and vegetables; return to a boil. Continue cooking 2 to 3 minutes or until noodles are tender.

2 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Blogger gecko said...

Sorry, I had once been fed a large chunck of ginger by a former girlfreind; no thanks!

I find the 33 million figure hard to believe myself.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Greg said...

I have discovered that ginger adds a nice flavor to tuna salad. And I love pickled ginger at the sushi bar! I'll eat the whole dollop, even after the sushi is gone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home