.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Generic Confusion

When you leave, my blog just fades to grey
Nu ma nu ma iei, nu ma nu ma nu ma iei


News? Check. Politics? Check. Music? Check. Random thoughts about life? Check. Readership? Ummm.... let me get back to you on that. Updated when I feel like I have something to say, and remember to post it.

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Cracker

In the comic strip Get Fuzzy, one of my favorite comic strips, the psycho cat Bucky has a toy bear he named Smacky. Later, he gets two more, which he names Punk and Cracker. Why Cracker? Because the bear is white.

I don't mind the use of a (mild) racial slur. I do mind the double standard; a slur against any other race would not be deemed appropriate for a syndicated comic strip.

2 Comments:

At 12:14 AM, Blogger gecko said...

Maybe in this age, where a word I was brought up to learn all hell would break loose if you said it (the "N" word!) is used by the race it was meant for as a friendly greating, it is entirely appropriate. Naaah.

I ran across a blogger under fire by the name of Cracker. Perhaps you've seen that blog?

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Nope, I hadn't seen that blog before. It looks like I'd appreciate his writing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home