.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Generic Confusion

When you leave, my blog just fades to grey
Nu ma nu ma iei, nu ma nu ma nu ma iei


News? Check. Politics? Check. Music? Check. Random thoughts about life? Check. Readership? Ummm.... let me get back to you on that. Updated when I feel like I have something to say, and remember to post it.

Monday, May 24, 2004

Why can't we walk?

The rule I remember growing up is that students within two miles of school walked to school. I attended one elementary school within the same subdivision as me, but others walked from farther away, including crossing a relatively busy street (important enough to put both a stoplight and a crossing guard at the crosswalk).

I spoke to a co-worker, who lives quite close to school, but his kids can't walk. The excuse is these are county roads without sidewalks. (Like we kids ever stayed on the sidewalks!) I wonder how much of it is really fear of getting sued?

So if you wonder why American kids are so overweight, maybe this is a reason.

A similar harangue: why can't I find stairs? I used to take the stairs frequently at the office. But if I'm in a hotel, for example, I can't find stairs by the elevators. In some cases, I've found a staircase, only to find that it only goes outside, or it doesn't connect to the lobby level without going through storage or the kitchen.

We'd all benefit if we walked a little more. Why are we making it so hard to do so?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home