.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Generic Confusion

When you leave, my blog just fades to grey
Nu ma nu ma iei, nu ma nu ma nu ma iei


News? Check. Politics? Check. Music? Check. Random thoughts about life? Check. Readership? Ummm.... let me get back to you on that. Updated when I feel like I have something to say, and remember to post it.

Saturday, February 28, 2004

So much for bag matching!

One of the tactics established to increase airport security in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attack is bag matching. Long used in Europe to address terrorist bombings, this system ensures your bag does not get on the plane if you don't.

But then, I landed after a delayed flight, and found the airplane's cargo hold was filled with bags from earlier flights on that route, and not mine. A snowstorm had seriously mangled flights through Charlotte, and a lot of bags didn't make their earlier connections. It's a loophole that could possibly be exploited, although it would be nearly impossible to plan.

Aside 1: Why is it Charlotte which has given me the worst weather-related delays, and not a northern airport?

Aside 2: If people are willing to die for their twisted lies, I'm not sure how useful bag matching really is to stopping bombs.

Update: This old article indicates that it doesn't require any effort at all to exploit this loophole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home