.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Generic Confusion

When you leave, my blog just fades to grey
Nu ma nu ma iei, nu ma nu ma nu ma iei


News? Check. Politics? Check. Music? Check. Random thoughts about life? Check. Readership? Ummm.... let me get back to you on that. Updated when I feel like I have something to say, and remember to post it.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Serenity: The Blog Experience

If you read any blogs, chances are you have seen discussion of the unusual marketing ploy for Serenity, the movie continuation of Joss Whedon's Firefly series. (The link above is for Daniel Drezner, but you can also check out Jacob Levy, Matthew Yglesias, or a bunch of links assembled by Glenn Reynolds.) Basically, a bunch of big bloggers (not including lowly bloggers like me) were invited to watch an early screening, as long as they agreed to write about it. No quid pro quo was present; writers were free to trash the film.

I love this idea, and think it could work for any film that's not a typical Hollywood blockbuster. Any film without a big initial profile could greatly benefit from this type of attention (as long as the film is good enough to not be universally reviled). 163,000 page hits a day for the Instapundit? That's pretty far-reaching free advertising!

1 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, Blogger gecko said...

I like the concept, but I won't be reading about it on any blogs (except yours.) I enjoyed Firefly immensely and don't want to spoil this new experience by reading any reviews.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home