.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Generic Confusion

When you leave, my blog just fades to grey
Nu ma nu ma iei, nu ma nu ma nu ma iei


News? Check. Politics? Check. Music? Check. Random thoughts about life? Check. Readership? Ummm.... let me get back to you on that. Updated when I feel like I have something to say, and remember to post it.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Music Profile: Bree Sharp

Bree Sharp... now there's a name you probably haven't heard in five years.

The singer/songwriter is probably best known for her minor hit David Duchovny. Now, millions of kids are hearing her again, but they don't know it. She's performing the theme song and other music for Mew Mew Power, the horrible hack dub* of the anime Tokyo Mew Mew. (She previously co-wrote a song on a dub of a Pokemon movie, also for 4Kids Entertainment.)

There's an interesting juxtaposition if you look at David Duchovny and the theme song to Mew Mew Power... she answers her original question!
"David Duchovny, why won't you love me?"
"But it's hard to save the world when you're falling in love."

*I admit to not having seen the original series, but the English version has two strikes against it: they changed the series name, and they changed the characters' names. As a result, I'm pretty confident my assessment is accurate.

3 Comments:

At 12:22 AM, Blogger gecko said...

Out of place, of course, (never heard of Bree Sharp) I have to admit I haven't seen the show either. However, I don't think changing the title (how many kids know where Tokyo is?) is evidence of hack dubbing. Niether is character name changes; Ichigo just doesn't roll of the American tongue (as doesn't Sailor Moon's Usagi!).

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger Greg said...

I'm a purist, preferring subtitled versions with footnotes for jokes we Americans wouldn't get.

The character of Purin (Kikki) appears to be Chinese, and that's not mentioned in the American version. And I saw what was clearly takoyaki called something else (a combination of foods you wouldn't normally eat together).

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have heard the name Bree Sharp lately! When I saw her band at Gunther Murphy's in Chicago May 6th. She has her own recording label, Ahimsa, and a fantastic new song, Waving Goodbye, on her latest album, LIVE AT FEZ. WOW! If you have the chance to see her perform live, GO! In the mean time get her albums.

"But it's hard to save the world when you're falling in love," is really more of a comment regarding, not an answer. Just like, "But it's hard not to save the world when you're falling in love," is a comment and neither dictates the outcome of whether the world is actually saved or not; or whether Duchovny loves her or not. But, I am pretty sure David does love her. She is very lovable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home