.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Generic Confusion

When you leave, my blog just fades to grey
Nu ma nu ma iei, nu ma nu ma nu ma iei


News? Check. Politics? Check. Music? Check. Random thoughts about life? Check. Readership? Ummm.... let me get back to you on that. Updated when I feel like I have something to say, and remember to post it.

Thursday, April 14, 2005

You know you've been in Japan too long when...

Something for a foreigner who's lived in Japan. I've never been there, but this list is still funny. Examples:

... you converse in Japanese with your gaijin friends, even though you both speak English.
... you believe that seafood and rice cakes are perfectly normal pizza toppings.
... you think it's normal for motorcycles to drive and park on the sidewalks.
... you think a city of 175,000 is a "country town."
... you have trouble figuring out how many syllables there really are in words like 'building'.
... when you no longer find anything unusual in the concept of "Vermont curry".
... getting ready for a trip you automatically calculate for omiyage and you leave just the right amount of space in your suitcase for them.

1 Comments:

At 3:06 AM, Blogger gecko said...

I have to confess, while I did live in Japan for six years, I worked and lived on an American military base (or group of them) so most of these things escape me.

You do pick up things like saying "hi (yes)" to everyone Japanese or American alike! I still do it now!

I definately remember bizarre pizza and motorbikes (mainly scooters) with complete disregard of their driving space.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home