.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Generic Confusion

When you leave, my blog just fades to grey
Nu ma nu ma iei, nu ma nu ma nu ma iei


News? Check. Politics? Check. Music? Check. Random thoughts about life? Check. Readership? Ummm.... let me get back to you on that. Updated when I feel like I have something to say, and remember to post it.

Tuesday, March 03, 2020

The chump theory of politics

I believe in a theory of politics that doesn't consider any political affiliation. It looks only at a policy proposal, not who made the proposal.

It's simple: if this policy is enacted, who's going to feel like a chump?

No one wants to be the chump. It's a terrible feeling. And when someone feels like a chump, they're going to hate you, they're going to vote against you, and they're not going to cooperate with you.

Look to popular policies, and you won't see many people left feeling like chumps.

  • Unemployment insurance: "My neighbor got laid off, but unemployment insurance helped him bridge the gap to his next job.  I'm glad it didn't happen to me, and it's good that this program exists if I had ended up in the same position."
  • Medicare: "My neighbor got care after his heart attack, while all I got out of Medicare was my prescriptions and routine care.  But I'm glad to be healthy, and I'm happy this program would pay for my care in the same situation."
Now consider a proposal that's popular with the American left, student loan forgiveness.
  • "I went to community college for two years to earn college credits, and transferred to my college of choice.  It took me another semester to graduate as a result, but I did it to reduce costs.  But with student loan forgiveness, I guess I should have gotten more loans.  Now I feel like a chump."
  • "I went to a second-tier college because tuition was cheaper and I could live at home.  I'm sure my opportunities would have been better with a better college, but I did it to save money.  But with student loan forgiveness, I guess I should have gone to my first choice college.  Now I feel like a chump."
  • "I saved aggressively to fund my children's college education, so that they could graduate with minimal student loans.  As a result, my children grew up with fewer material possessions, and didn't have the experiences their friends did, like trips to Europe.  But with student loan forgiveness, I guess I shouldn't have saved; my children would have been in the same position.  Now I feel like a chump."
  • "I lived in a tiny apartment after college, rarely went out on the town, and never took a vacation, all so I could pay off my student loans.  I missed out on the fun my peers had while they were making minimum payments.  But with student loan forgiveness, I guess I should have not bothered trying to pay off my loans.  Now I feel like a chump."
The right thing, as we're commonly taught, involves some amount of sacrifice.  Don't punish those who do make these sacrifices.

The chump theory of politics goes beyond policies.  It explains why it's important to enforce laws and regulations evenly.  If you get a large fine for your one rental property while some rich and powerful guy gets away with much worse behavior, you feel like a chump.  If you have to pay back taxes to the IRS while a prominent public figure gets away with owing a ton of money, you feel like a chump.

The chump theory of politics explains why it's important to fight against fraud, even if it's a relatively small problem.  When you're trudging to work, dealing with all the pains of your sixty year-old body, while your neighbor on disability is healthy enough to spend his time golfing and fishing, you feel like a chump.  When your well-off neighbor makes use of a food bank without facing any social consequences while you buy your food at the grocery store, you feel like a chump.

The greatest risk to the United States of America is not a political party or particular politician.  It's a breakdown of social mores that say doing the right thing will be, if not necessarily rewarded, recognized and honored.  If the citizens of the USA develop the same attitude towards paying taxes and obeying regulations as the people of, say, Greece, we are well and truly screwed.


Update: I knew I couldn't have been the only person to reach this conclusion, but I'm a bit surprised to see someone else use the term chump to describe this effect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home