.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Generic Confusion

When you leave, my blog just fades to grey
Nu ma nu ma iei, nu ma nu ma nu ma iei


News? Check. Politics? Check. Music? Check. Random thoughts about life? Check. Readership? Ummm.... let me get back to you on that. Updated when I feel like I have something to say, and remember to post it.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

License to care

An interesting short news item in the paper:

A religious group that runs two facilities that counsel gays to give up homosexuality has sued the state in federal court, claiming Tennessee is violating the group's religious freedom by requiring a license to care for the mentally ill.


Is it just me, or is it odd that this is not a huge controversy? Here you have a government agency implying that homosexuality is a mental illness! Psychiatrists have long ago given up that assertion that homosexuality is a mental illness, so why is this state agency claiming it is so?

I of course don't know what the group (Love in Action) does, but I suspect it involves a lot of prayer and discussion. It's probably apparent that it's not caring for the mentally ill.

3 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger Dave Justus said...

I suppose one could argue that any gay that thinks they want to be straight is a priori mentally ill....

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger honestpartisan said...

Funny, DJ!

I didn't read the article (I don't think you linked to it), but my read of it is somewhat different from yours. I read it that this is a ministry that tries to "cure" homosexuality, and in addition to that they wanted a license to administer care to the mentally ill. Probably noting the quackery involved in their enterprise, the Tennessee authorizing agency denied them a license, precipitating the lawsuit. So I don't think that a government agency is saying that homosexuality is a mental illness so much as this scenario (I could be wrong, not having seen any of the papers, but that's my surmise).

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Sorry, I didn't notice I forgot a title for this post, so the link to the article wasn't there.

I don't know the full details of this story, since it is in one of those boxes with short story blurbs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home