.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Generic Confusion

When you leave, my blog just fades to grey
Nu ma nu ma iei, nu ma nu ma nu ma iei


News? Check. Politics? Check. Music? Check. Random thoughts about life? Check. Readership? Ummm.... let me get back to you on that. Updated when I feel like I have something to say, and remember to post it.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Here's a real way to cut down on oil usage

Varifrank begins by saying that his lack of gas usage makes his big pickup truck more efficient than his brother-in-law's Honda. Seems surprising, but that's because he works at home, and without commuting, he needs much less gas. He suggests: what if one out of four people started working from home? Yes, that would create a drop in the demand for gas. I probably spend less of my car's mileage driving to work than most, due to taking long car trips and living ~8 miles from work. But I would save significant mileage if I worked at home.

He bravely asserts that 25% of American workers could work at home. It seems a reasonable estimate to me. I may be biased, though, as I work in an office, the type of work he envisions being done from home. (A more accurate estimate could be created by looking at percentages of employees in various fields. Factory workers, store employees, taxi drivers, and doctors are all examples of workers that wouldn't really be able to work at home.)

I'm sure I could work from home, but oh, the temptation. Soft, warm bed... or work. Beer in the fridge... or work. TV... or work.

1 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Blogger Dave Justus said...

I have the same issue working from home. Too many temptations...

However, living about 15 blocks from work means I don't use much gas anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home