.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Generic Confusion

When you leave, my blog just fades to grey
Nu ma nu ma iei, nu ma nu ma nu ma iei


News? Check. Politics? Check. Music? Check. Random thoughts about life? Check. Readership? Ummm.... let me get back to you on that. Updated when I feel like I have something to say, and remember to post it.

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Condescension

My biggest pet peeve is hypocrisy. Hypocrisy and double standards are an ubiquitous presence in politics, on all sides.

But also troublesome is condescension. And in politics, it all seems to come from the left. It's normally subtle. "You can't succeed without our government policies." "You can't be trusted with your own retirement investment."

But in the aftermath of the 2004 election, some condescension is rather overt. "You have to be stupid to re-elect President Bush."

Yeah, that's a way to win friends and influence voters.

I for one can come up with multiple reasons why some people support Republicans, and others support Democrats. Very few of them support one or the other because they're stupid, and I would never suggest to any given Democrat that they support their candidate because they're stupid. People have different views, and I'd suggest focusing on bringing people around to your point of view with evidence, reason, and a willingness to fairly debate the issues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home