.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Generic Confusion

When you leave, my blog just fades to grey
Nu ma nu ma iei, nu ma nu ma nu ma iei


News? Check. Politics? Check. Music? Check. Random thoughts about life? Check. Readership? Ummm.... let me get back to you on that. Updated when I feel like I have something to say, and remember to post it.

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Testing education

Joanne Jacobs discusses the problem with educational research: namely, that it's not research as the term is used in scientific spheres.

Part of the problem might be that education professionals don't want to look at research, as it may disprove the effectiveness of trendy pet theorems of the day. Some anecdotal evidence from someone who saw education schools first-hand: truly frightening stuff.

Update:
Thanks for the link, Joanne!
It's nice to get a link from someone who actually has readership. It really does wonders for one's Sitemeter count, increasing it by 150% in this case.

Update 2:
The author of the posts on the actuary.ca thread has a blog now, and noticed the discussion in the blogosphere. It's all my fault. I'm the one who pointed Joanne Jacobs to the thread.

1 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Blogger ALD said...

In the last few days that post from over a year ago seems to have made the rounds of several blogs. I have created a blog at http://discusseducation.blogspot.com in an attempt to generate some discussion around this topic that has always been so important to me even though I am no longer a teacher. I have recompiled everything I posted on the www.actuary.ca and would love to get some discussion going on this topic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home